Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Going Organic

Many producers across Missouri have been looking into “Going Organic.” I receive at least a phone call a day from producers that want to know the proper steps to become organically certified and if becoming organic will fit into their business plan.

I also receive calls and questions from consumers and restaurants that are looking for organic produce. Eating organics is also the “trendy” thing to do today, according to a list of 2007's top 10 food trends in the current issue of Food Technology magazine.

Organics are foods produced following a government-regulated practice of growing and processing that minimizes exposure to pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals used in traditional farming. Organic food is one of the country's fastest-growing market segments; sales have risen more than 20 percent per year since the 1990s, according to the USDA's Economic Research Service.

Some organic foods may provide a nutrition boost. A research review of 41 studies conducted by the University of California at Davis found that, on average, organic produce contains as much as 27 percent more vitamin C, 21 percent more iron, and 29 percent more magnesium compared with traditionally grown foods. The kinds of packaged organic foods that now fuel the category's growth, such as cookies, baked goods, and boxed meals, also benefit from a similar perception of healthfulness.

The October 30 issue of the New York Times has a great article on “Five Easy Ways to Go Organic” that I would suggest reading if you are interested in organic food choices.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lane for stopping here in Springfield Nov 1st. I am a new "farmer" and I have only had the previous experience of a small garden for about 6 years. Just this year I decided to start farming to sell at markets. I have enlarged my original garden and spawned 2 others and have plans for a couple more. I only have 3.5 acres and only about 1 or 1.5 is plantable. I requested a packet on how to become organic and even though it looks organized...it still seems very complicated. The question I have is should I even worry about it my first year and just get some experience under my belt first? Or, should I pursuit being Organically Certified? Thanks for you info. My email address is myerstownfarm@gmail.com